Can my energy supplier stop my switch?

Depending on the circumstances your energy supplier can legally prevent you from switching to a new supplier. For instance, your switch can be stopped if you're in debt to your supplier, or if the energy bills at the property aren't in your name.

There are three circumstances where your energy supplier can legally prevent you from switching to a new supplier:

  1. You’re billed monthly or quarterly and you have debts of 28 days or more

  2. The energy bills at the property aren’t in your name

  3. Your meter is supported

1. Debts of 28 days or more

If you have owed money to your energy supplier for more than 28 days they can stop your switch. If this is the case, you’ll need to repay the money owed before the switch can continue.

However, if t’s your supplier’s fault that you’re in debt (for example, they’ve estimated your bill incorrectly) they can’t stop your switch. You will, however, have to repay the amount owed when you receive your final bill.

If you have a prepayment meter

The rules are different if you prepay for your gas and electricity. You can still switch supplier if you owe less than £500 for gas or £500 for electricity.

In order for the switch to complete you’ll have to ask your new supplier to agree to your debt being transferred along with your energy supplier. This is known as the ‘Debt Assignment Protocol’.

2. The bills aren’t in your name

If the energy bills are not in your name in the property you live in (for example, you’re a tenant and the energy bills are in your landlord’s name) your supplier can stop your switch.

You’ll need to get permission from the person named on the bill in order to proceed with the switch.

3. Your meter isn't supported

Your switch can be stopped if your energy meter isn’t supported by the name supplier. If this is the case, you might find you need to contact your current supplier to discuss options for changing your meter or accessing a better energy deal directly through them.

If you’ve been in debt for less than 28 days

You’re entitled to switch your energy supplier if the debt has been owed for less than 28 days. You’ll still be required to repay the amount, however, it should just be added to your final bill. You can also ask for a payment plan if you’re having trouble paying. This should mean that your switch can go ahead as planned while you repay the amount owed to your old energy supplier in instalments.

If your supplier stops your switch

If you’re entitled to switch your energy supplier but your current supplier is preventing you from switching you should make a complaint.

For those on a prepayment meter, it’s worthwhile writing to your supplier and explaining that you are entitled to switch. Citizens Advice have a letter template to assist you in writing your complaint.

Compare gas and electricity

Category: Energy
Last Updated:

Meet mo

mo is your money virtual assistant
Monva - get it?

mo is here to guide you through your searches, and offer useful tips and information to help you make smart choices and find the right deal every time

mo will also be in touch with new personalised offers and deals as they hit the market meaning you're always informed and on top of money saving offers

Mo helps you make smarter choices


We want you to find the right deal, every time. We look for new ways to personalise your experience


We're ready when you are, monva works for you and takes the hard work out of comparison


Manage all quotes, offers and renewals through your central account. You can register now or search for a credit card


We value every bit of data you give us. We keep it safe, let you control it, and make it work hard for you.

As seen in...